Charlie McAvoy signs ATO with Providence Bruins, turns pro

Sophomore defenseman Charlie McAvoy. PHOTO BY JUSTIN HAWK/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The Charlie McAvoy era is over for the Boston University men’s hockey team.

The 19-year-old defenseman has signed an amateur tryout (ATO) contract with the Providence Bruins, the AHL affiliate of the Boston Bruins. Across his Terrier career, Charlie McAvoy earned a Hockey East First-Team nod after his sophomore season and recorded 51 points in 75 games.

Perhaps McAvoy’s biggest moment, though, was winning a gold medal with Team USA at the 2017 World Junior Championships. He was an assistant captain for the red, white and blue, starring in the title game against Team Canada.

Upon signing, McAvoy becomes the second Terrier to pro early following the 2016-17 season. Forward Clayton Keller signed on Sunday with the Arizona Coyotes, making his debut one day later against the St. Louis Blues.

In connection with the Bruins, early reports indicate that sophomore forward Jakob Forsbacka Karlsson, Boston’s second-round pick in 2015, is undecided on whether to turn pro or not.

Lastly, McAvoy was Boston’s first-round pick in the 2016 NHL Draft, always placing him on a fast track to the big show.

12 thoughts on “Charlie McAvoy signs ATO with Providence Bruins, turns pro

1. He does not even get a standard contract ? Wow. Who is his agent ? He was outstanding in the NCAA’s and our best D man. I think he will make a great pro but not with the Bruins. I my memory there has not been one BU player who was a regular starter with the Bruins who dislike college players and especially Americans. Harry Sinden said so many years ago in an interview and that attitude, for the most part, stays to this day. Good luck to him.

2. Clayton Keller would have been better served by another year in college, to get bigger and stronger. But got a NHL deal, and the clock has started on his three-year entry level contract.
    Charlie McAvoy gets an ATO at Providence, with no guarantee of his clock starting? What a terrible deal.
    But the truth is that McAvoy belongs in Providence, if he is not in college.
    He has the physical tools to eventually be a good pro at the NHL level. But he needs more experience, better positing and hockey sense and to cut down on the mental errors before he has any hopes of helping in Boston.
    He was often able to make up for mistakes in college with his strong skating. He won’t have that luxury in the NHL.
    Unless a player is going to go right to the NHL, in most cases they would better off staying in college, unless they need the money now.

• McAvoy was offered an ATO b/c if he plays even 1 game w/ the NHL Bruins, it would trigger the 1st year of his entry-level contract. Basically, the Bruins want next year to be year 1 of his 3-year entry-level deal, thus deferring McAvoy’s status for both restricted and unrestricted free agency in the NHL by 1 year.

I really hope he fulfills his vast potential in the pros, but I think he would’ve strongly benefited from returning to BU for 1 more year.