Report: Liam Coughlin commits to Vermont

Liam Coughlin has committed to play hockey at the University of Vermont, Over the Boards reported Monday evening. Coughlin was previously reported to have committed to Boston University.

In April, the 6-foot-3 South Boston native announced his commitment to BU, and received support from his team and friends on Twitter. Former BU captain Garrett Noonan tweeted then in support of his fellow Catholic Memorial School graduate:

Born in 1994, Coughlin was expected to arrive at BU in 2015.

Coughlin recorded 45 points in 53 games with the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League in the 2013-14 season, and has tallied three goals in nine games so far this season. He was drafted by the Edmonton Oilers in the fifth round of the 2014 NHL draft.

1. All the BU rejects go to VT, it seems

2. I’m not sure you can call Liam Coughlin a BU reject. He was a 5th round draft pick who would have entered BU as a 21 year old 6’3′ freshman. Some size and maturity up front is always helpful. VT is building a fine program and will be a formidable adversary over the next few years even though they usually do not get “first pick” in the recruiting wars. I’d be interested in knowing what was behind Coughlin’s decomit decision if anyone has reliable information. Let’s hear from you SOCC and others.

In any event, let’s hope DQ and his staff can continue the outstanding recruiting they have had in such a short time. Good luck BU.

3. Yea, funny how three guys have gone to Vermont now. Sometimes these 21 year old’s are not as good as we think. Why so long to get into school? Some of these kind of guys are not as dedicated to school work as they should . Maine used these older players for years and it did not turn out so good in the long run. I will make some calls to see if I can find out.

4. From what I understand many times, they CAN’T get IN to BU with their grades. Who cares, I’m so psyched for this weekend!!! First official game of the season at Agganis!!! GO BU!!

5. I’m Liam’s cousin and this is the route that the Oilers want him to take. Another year in BCHL, one at VT then if all goes well they want to bring him up to Edmonton