Opinions

Three Takeaways from Friday’s BU win over Merrimack

Boston University got by Merrimack College 3-2 on Friday night at Lawler Rink thanks to three unanswered goals, including two in the third period. Here are my three takeaways from the game – all opinions are my own.

BU flipped a switch

After starting fast against Dartmouth with three early goals last weekend, BU came out of the gates sluggish on Friday night at Merrimack, not recording a shot on goal for more than 13 minutes in the first period. However, going down 2-0 early in the second seemed to awake the Terriers, who got one back through Dom Fensore in the middle frame and then poured on pressure at the start of the third period to put in two quick goals, including Jake Wise’s first of his career and Jack DeBoer’s eventual game-winner. BU’s offense may not have won the shots-on-goal tally, but their sustained pressure over the last half hour or so was too much for Merrimack to handle.

New game, new lines (again)

BU seemed to have a good thing going at the end of the first half with “more balanced lines,” as Albie O’Connell described of his forward group at the time. The second half has seen its fair share of shake-ups already, though, with bodies in and out for injury or simply coach’s choice. Logan Cockerill – more on him later – was the player forcing changes to the BU lines last night with his return from injury, and as some had expected, myself included, his introduction back into the top six caused some early growing pains among the BU forwards. The Terriers did eventually find a way to make things work, but some consistency across the trios up top could be helpful as the games only get bigger.

Cockerill makes his return

Back in game action for the first time since October, Logan Cockerill wasn’t totally himself on Friday night, but did show brief signs of being the game-changing player the Terriers think he can be. Cockerill’s speed has been his calling card at BU, and we saw him use that pace to his advantage at times on Friday night, disturbing the Merrimack power play and challenging defenders to keep up. With the assistant captain coming back from an upper-body injury, though, the more important thing is that Cockerill demonstrates the puck-handling and shooting that, paired with his skating, makes him dangerous. He only tried one shot on goal last night, so it will be interesting to see how Cockerill’s play develops as he works to find his stride – no pun intended.

BU will be back in action tonight at No. 5 Boston College.

1. Brady I agree BU was sluggish out of the gates. That barn has been problematic for terrier teams. BU outlasted a team that is getting better and is very good when they play in that heat less phone booth. I saw a team that was not looking past Merrimack to bc. I thought Quercia played excellent as well as Fensore and Phillips they played there style of hockey and fought through the smothering body checking Merrimack was putting on. Abel looked very good. I’m always trying to be optimistic but the truth of the matter is we played ok we fell into Merrimack trap. We should have been ready from the drop of the puck and everyone should have known what Merrimack game plan would be. We were in my opinion ok last night saw many good things but I just think we can be better. Ok tonight won’t be good enough. I know many on this blog think bc is team to beat. I honestly think u mass is the team right now but bc is good and ok won’t cut it. We need to be ready right from the drop of the puck. Go bu🐾