Women's Hockey

This Week in Women’s Hockey: November 5-12

Jesse Compher takes on a Crusader against Holy Cross last season. Photo by Emily Hunter.

Sophomore forward Jesse Compher made her season debut this past weekend as the Boston University women’s hockey team (5-3-1, 2-3-1 Hockey East) won a tight 2-1 game over Providence College (4-4-0, 2-2-0 Hockey East) on Saturday afternoon.

Compher had missed the prior nine games due to a lingering lower-body injury, but the absence did not seem to falter the talented attacker as she registered six shots in her first game back.

The Terriers were led offensively by freshman forward Julia Nearis, who notched both goals of the contest. It was the second two-goal game of Nearis’  young career, continuing her red-hot streak of five goals in four games, good for the BU lead in goals with six. Freshman defenseman Nadia Mattivi collected her first collegiate point with an assist on Nearis’ first goal of the game.

After her effort against Providence, Nearis was named Hockey East Rookie of the Week on Monday. She has provided the Terriers’ last three goals, and is second among NCAA and Hockey East rookies with six goals, while also sitting sixth overall in the conference. She ranks fifth on the team with seven points (6g, 1a).

Junior goaltender Corinne Schroeder was lights out once again between the pipes stopping 26 shots without allowing an even-strength goal, backstopping the Terriers to a hard-fought victory over the Friars.

Looking ahead to this week’s games, BU is set to take to Yale University (5-1, 3-1 ECAC) Tuesday night at 7 p.m. as the Terriers begin a three-game homestand at Walter Brown Arena.

Against Yale, BU is 4-1-1 historically. Their last game resulted in a 5-2 road win on Dec. 7, 2017, and at Walter Brown Arena, the Terriers are 3-0-0 against the Bulldogs. The one loss to Yale was on Nov. 25, 2008; the Terriers’ first meeting with the Bulldogs.

Yale is off to a hot start, picking up home shutouts this past weekend against Union and RPI 5-0 and 3-0 respectively. Defense has been the key to success as the Bulldogs have allowed just 1.33 goals per game, which is tied for fourth in the country. BU, meanwhile, has set 1.60 goals-against mark, which is good enough for seventh in the country.

The Bulldogs are led offensively by freshman Elle Hartje, who spearheads the attack with five goals and 11 points, and sophomore Claire Dalton, who leads with seven assists. Senior goaltender Tera Hofmann is 4-0-0, and she leads the NCAA in both save percentage (.983) and goals-against average (0.26).

After Yale, the Terriers will take on conference rivals Boston College (9-1-1, 8-1-1 Hockey East) Friday night at 7 p.m. at Walter Brown Arena. The Eagles are coming off their first loss of the season in a 5-2 defeat against UConn last Saturday afternoon, but they still sit comfortably atop the women’s Hockey East standings.

BC is lead offensively by freshman forward Hannah Bilka, who leads in goals (10) and points (18), and sophomore Kelly Browne, who leads the Eagles in assists with 11. Sophomore goaltender Maddy McArthur has started in nine games, and has a 1.88 average and .919 save percentage for BC.

Last season, BU went 2-0-2 against BC; their most recent matchup being a 5-1 loss in the WHEA Semifinals. The loss brought an end to the Terriers’ season, finishing with a 21-8-8 record.

BU will look to make the Providence victory into a win streak when they take on the high-flying Yale Bulldogs before moving on to a weekend rivalry clash with league leaders Boston College.