Opinions

Three Takeaways from Friday’s Tie with No. 11 Providence

Patrick Harper and Trevor Zegras skate around the corner during warmups. Photo by Patrick Donnelly.

The Terriers clawed back to earn a 3-3 draw against the No. 11 Providence College Friars at Agganis Arena after finding themselves in a 3-1 deficit in the second period. There were certainly some positives for head coach Albie O’Connell’s group as they secured a point against a tough Hockey East rival, although the game was far from perfect–check out Brady Gardner’s full recap! Here are my three takeaways, all opinions are my own.

1. Harper, first line didn’t miss a beat

With the return of Patrick Harper came the return of the first line that we all know and love. The trio of Harper, Trevor Zegras, and Patrick Curry was buzzing all night long, in spite of the fact they only came up with one goal to show for their effort–Curry got ROBBED by the post in the third. The single tally came when Harper came up with a slick, Zegras-like feed to Zegras in front to help the frosh earn his third of the season. On top of that, the first power play unit looked much more cohesive; however, while the passing is dazzling, you would like to see more guys be selfish and shoot the puck when they have quality looks.

2. Aside from Farrance, Terriers need to shoot the puck more

Farrance was not afraid to go bombs-away from the point, and it paid off his he had two monster one-timers in the third period to tie the game for the Terriers. Aside from Farrance and a few others, there have been plenty of moments this season where someone will make that one extra pass rather than shoot when given the opportunity. For a team that has looked like it can score at will at one moment before struggling for production at another, you’d like to see more guys take advantage of their chances to shoot the puck.

3. Don’t let three goals-against fool you on Sam Tucker

He may have given up three goals, but Sam Tucker put on another solid performance for this BU squad. When you look at the three goals, you can’t ask the netminder to do much more than he could have whether it was a tip in front, a beautiful top-shelf snipe off an ugly giveaway, or a cross-ice feed to a wide-open Friar on the power play. The graduate student looked sharp right off the hop as he flat-out robbed John McDermott with the glove before making a game-saving stop on Greg Printz late in the game.

The series shifts to Providence on Saturday night when BU and PC meet again at 7pm.