From the FreeP: Joe Pereira returns to Agganis Arena as UConn assistant coach

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

As Joe Pereira sat in the Agganis Arena stands about two hours before puck drop, readying for the Boston University men’s hockey team’s nonconference matchup with the University of Connecticut, his attire said it all.

A dark blue tie with lighter blue and silver stripes complemented Pereira’s white collared shirt, which featured blue pinstripes. His jacket lapel donned a pin of UConn’s new Husky logo.

This was not just “Joe Pereira, former Terrier.” It was “Joe Pereira, UConn assistant coach.”

Sunday evening, a 4-1 BU (5-6-0, 2-3-0 Hockey East) win over UConn (3-4-1), was the 26-year-old Pereira’s first time at Agganis since relocating to Storrs, Conn., to take the position with the Huskies.

“It’s pretty exciting,” said Pereira, who finished with 61 points (27 goals, 34 assists) as a Terrier and was a part of the 2009 national championship team before taking over as captain in 2010-11, said. “It’s different, but it’s awesome, too.

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.

1. Really happy to see Pereira get an opportunity like this. I think he has the potential to be an outstanding coach at this level. I would not be surprised to see him take his experiences gained at UConn and return to BU as an assistant in the near future. Quinn would benefit from having another young, hungry assistant coach on his staff instead of someone like Powers.

2. Wish we had his brother instead of him. We definitely got shortchanged with the Pereira brother we got.

3. Why did DQ schedule Bentley on 12/13? He’ll do anythign to get a cheap win to pad pad his record. Was Brookline elementary school’s pee wee hockey team not available on that day?