Offensive defenseman Ahti Oksanen continues to hone physical side of game

By Meredith Perri/DFP Staff
In his first goal of his college career, freshman Kevin Duane shot up the right side of the ice and ricocheted a shot off of the goaltender before seeing it bounce into the back of the net. The goal, which served as the Terriers’ only tally of the game, served as more than introductory milestone.
For the third straight game, sophomore defenseman Ahti Oksanen set up the play.
“I thought Ahti had a great night tonight,” said Boston University men’s hockey coach David Quinn. “He was probably our best player.”
With the Terriers down 2-0 to No. 17 Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Oksanen demonstrated his improved play as he intercepted the puck on the Terriers’ blue line. From there the Kirkkonummi, Finland, native sent a bullet up to Duane, setting the freshman up for a breakaway goal.
Becoming a key part of the Terriers’ offensive chances, however, did not start during BU’s bout with RPI. During the team’s 3-1, season-opening win against the University of Massachusetts on Oct. 11, Oksanen registered an assist on all three of the Terriers’ goals. Two of those assists came within 90 seconds of play.
Oksanen continued to display his offensive ability the next night when he also helped out freshman center Nick Roberto on his first goal of the season. In fact, a BU freshman has yet to score a goal this season without having Oksanen’s name alongside his on the score sheet.
“He’s very [offensively] gifted,” said senior captain Patrick MacGregor. he gets the puck and seems like he makes a great play every time. He looks up the ice, and I think his vision is great.
“In our offensive zone, I think he does a great job with the puck, moves the puck well, doesn’t turn the puck over much. And also, this year he’s playing really well on defense, too. He’s a well-rounded defenseman this year. He really elevated his game a lot from last year.”
While it was only the third game, Oksanen is on pace to demolish some of his totals from last year. During the 2012-13 season, the defenseman registered had four goals and 13 assists, placing him third on the team in scoring amongst blueliners. This season, however, he is almost a third of the way into last season’s point totals with more than 91 percent of the season left to play.
According to Quinn, some of Oksanen’s improvements are a result of his improved defense.
“Many a time I envision him getting the puck because he was physical,” Quinn said.
The first-year head coach specifically referenced a part of the game where Oksanen laid into another player, and, although they both fell to the ground, Oksanen managed to get to the puck and start a two-on-one.
Although senior captain Garrett Noonan and sophomore defenseman Matt Grzelcyk were expected to headline the Terriers’ defense, Oksanen has shown that can also contend with the team’s top defenseman. The 6-foot-3 defenseman has also joined Noonan as part of the team’s top defensive pairing in every game this season.
“He is not a dumb guy,” Quinn said. “He is a big guy, and if he can continue to use his size and strength, he is going to be rewarded for it on the score sheet.

“I’m really happy with his progress.”

1. When DQ considers Ahti to be our “best player”, we are in big trouble.

2. So when are out awesome freshmen finally going to start stepping up? These guys are not better or worse than what’s currently on the team…..and that’s a bad thing.

3. DQ didn’t look too upset over the loss to an inferior team? Is he being too complacent already? Parker would never, ever accept any loss.

4. Matt Grzelcyk isn’t headlining anything this year. He’s been pathetic. He’s all flash with no substance. Opponents skate around him like a traffic cone.

5. Allow me to paraphrase the previous 4 commenters-

FIRE DAVE QUINN! I mean come on, he’s only won 3 games, and they’ve even lost one. The sooner the better. I’m surprised they didn’t fire him in June.

6. What are these idiots going to say when Quinn brings another NCAA trophy to campus??He is playing with Bavis recruits,who is out of hockey.(except for a pity job parker gave him with USA HOCKEY.ONE TOURNEY & done)