From the FreeP: Rookies shine for Terriers in preseason win

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Sports

College hockey offseasons are about asking questions. Teams are left with several holes to fill due to graduation and players leaving school for professional leagues. The Boston University men’s hockey team began answering those questions in Saturday night’s preseason game against St. Francis Xavier University, as the freshmen shone in their new roles.

Freshman forwards Nick Roberto and Tommy Kelley, both Massachusetts natives, each scored their first goals in BU uniforms and led the Terriers past the X-Men by a score of 2-1. For Roberto, it was just nice to get the first one in the books.

“It was definitely huge to get it right out of the way so you don’t have to worry about it,” Roberto said. “I was just trying to get to the net, and luckily a rebound came to me and I had two chances to get it in. So it was pretty good. Definitely a lot of weight off my shoulders now.”

The 5-foot-9, 173-pound Roberto scored his goal on the power play while battling in front of the goal mouth. That position on the power play is generally designated to bigger, stronger forwards such as 6-foot-3 sophomore forward Sam Kurker, who is on the second power play unit.

However, Roberto had a lot of success in that role, especially for a player in his first game. He led the team with seven shots in addition to his goal.

“He’s quick, he’s hungry, he’s competitive, he’s hockey strong,” said BU coach David Quinn. “I know he’s not big, but he’s got great leverage and he’s an athlete. He’s got great anticipation. I thought he had a great night tonight. He’s a guy that was making plays, he’s fast, very smart, picks things up quickly.”

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.

1. Good thing some of the freshman can score because none of the players left from last season can score. Hope this freshman class stay for more than a year or two.

2. Hmmm, so the upperclassmen took this game off. DQ going to discipline anyone or let it slide so the players think he’s a weak coach?

3. You people are unreal it a practice game and u guys already talking bad about the coach lets give him a break here 9freshmen ain’t easy lets see how The regular season goes until The hair way Mark then critize the players or coach .. it seems like u already looking for negative stuff think positive wow unreal if u hate how bu is doing things don’t go watch or give up your season tickets we true fans don’t need losers like u always talking bad..
    that’s all …Go Bu!! R.E

• Well said RE! After a mere sixty minutes (in an exhibition game to boot), pompous naysayers cannot wait to bloviate about poor players, poor coaching, and an already ruined season. No wonder they remain “Anonymous”.
      P.S. Downing

P.S. Downing

4. So 2 freshman did something while the other 7 freshmen and the rest of the team did nothing. How is that a good thing for the team?

5. Why the constant harping about the “9 freshmen”? Other teams have more than 9 freshmen on their team yet none of them are using that as an excuse. Either DQ can coach or he can not.

6. Please stop making excuses for DQ. Good coaches can win championships with a large freshman class. Lousy coaches can not. We will soon see if DQ is a good coach or a lousy coach.

7. Well you’re a lousy fan so go somewhere else PLEASE!!! And thank you