Terriers land goalie recruit Shane Starrett

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

The Boston University men’s hockey team has landed goaltender Shane Starrett of Selects Academy according to his Twitter account.

Starrett posted a 24-12-4 record with a 1.90 goals-against average and .915 save percentage while with the U18s. The Bellingham native and former Catholic Memorial netminder was named the No. 35 goaltender on the NHL Central Scouting’s Midterm Rankings of North American skaters for the 2013 NHL draft.

The 6-foot-5, 180-pound goalie was born in July of 1994, making him only three months younger than freshman forward Sam Kurker. According to East Coast Militia’s Facebook page, Starrett is committed to come to BU for the 2014-15 season. (Note: This post has been updated to reflect the East Coast Militia changing the date from 2013-14 to 2014-15.)

Here is a link to game film of Starrett.

1. Wonder if this means OC or Maguire is going to leave after only one season

2. It is obvious that Parker has no confidence in OC or Maguire. One of them is getting botted to open up a free ride for this guy.

3. Why didn’t we go after Demko? We go after this so-so goalie after O’Conner and Maguire prove they can’t cut it on the D-1 level.

4. Keep in mind, just because you are 6’5″ doesn’t mean you can stop the puck any better then someone who’s 6’1″. At this level its about knowing where to be and reaction time. Height helps if you have the other 2 attributes already.