From the FreeP: Terriers fall to Harvard in Beanpot consolation game

By Annie Maroon/DFP Staff

Sinking in the national rankings has not been enough to spur the No. 13 Boston University men’s hockey team out of its funk in the winter 2013 semester. Neither have the embarrassments of poor performances against inferior teams.

On Monday, it was clear that even the memory of a crucial loss in an identical game two years ago was not enough to get the Terriers (13–12–1, 10–7–1 Hockey East) in the right frame of mind for their Beanpot consolation game against Harvard University, which they lost 7–4.

Two years ago, when the Terriers fell to Harvard (6–15–2) in the consolation game, it effectively ended their season. They did not lose again until the last game of the regular season, but the Harvard loss hurt their PairWise ranking enough that it kept them from an at-large bid in the NCAA tournament.

Barring a dominant run through their last nine games leading into a Hockey East tournament win, it will now be an uphill battle for BU to escape the same fate this year.

“It had been said already, before this game, that [the game] is not important to Harvard,” said BU coach Jack Parker on Monday. “Harvard is not going to get into the national tournament by an at-large bid. Now we will drop well out of the PairWise.”

For more, go to dailyfreepress.com.