By the numbers: University of Maine Black Bears

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

With the odd Thursday-Saturday game schedule for the Boston University men’s hockey team this week, the Terriers’ opponent tonight, the University of Maine, got neglected in both our weekly preview and our weekly interview with Jack Parker.

So in place of a full-blown preview, here’s the low-down on some stats you’ll want to know about the cellar-dwelling Black Bears in preparation for tonight’s game.

The schedule
–Maine is 2-10-2 overall and 1-6-2 in Hockey East
–The four points makes them last in the conference standings, one point behind UMass-Lowell
–The wins came on Oct. 13 (4-3 over Army) and Nov. 10 (4-3 over UMass-Lowell)
–The ties came on Nov. 16 (2-2 with UMass) and Dec. 1 (2-2 with Vermont)

In Hockey East
As the record indicates, Maine has seen little success in the conference this season.

The Black Bears have the:
         -worst offense (1.43 goals per game)
         -second-worst defense (2.93 goals per game, tied with UMass)
         -worst power play (7.5 success rate)
         -worst special-teams net (-6, tied with UMass-Lowell)

Maine also has:
         -the most penalty minutes (15.4 minutes per game)
         -a respectable penalty kill (83.6, tied with BU for 4th)

The Maine offense gets progressively less productive as the game goes on. This season, it’s scored eight goals in the first period, seven in the second and five in the third.

Personnel
–Senior forward Joey Diamond leads the team with three goals to go with his three assists
         -Last season, Diamond posted 25 goals and 22 assists on what was arguably the conference’s top line
         -Sophomore forward Connor Leen has also scored three times 

–Freshman forward Devin Shore leads the Black Bears with seven points (one goal, six assists) 
–Only two Black Bears have a positive plus-minus rating: Shore (plus-2) and sophomore forward Andrew Cerretani (plus-1) 
         -Three more are even on the year

–Junior Martin Ouellette, a 2010 Columbus Blue Jackets draft pick (seventh round, 184th overall), has started seven games in net to the tune of a 2.40 goals-against average and a .911 save percentage
         -Junior Dan Sullivan has started six games, putting up a 3.34 goals-against average and a .898 save percentage