From the Freep: Short-handed Terriers set for Beanpot

By Arielle Aronson/DFP Staff

One year ago, the Boston University men’s hockey team left a blemish on its Beanpot legacy by finishing in last place for the first time since 1980. The loss was an embarrassing one for a BU team that has been so successful historically in the Beanpot that, at times, it has been dubbed the “BU Invitational.” BU has won almost half (29) of the previous 59 Beanpot tournaments.

In recent years, however, the Beanpot has belonged more to rival Boston College than to the Terriers. BC has won the coveted trophy in three of the past four seasons. Even worse, the Terriers enter the tournament this year at the risk of going three straight seasons without a Beanpot championship for the first time since 1983-85.

And so on Monday, the No. 3 Terriers (16-8-1, 13-6-1 Hockey East) will begin their quest to restore Terrier glory in the 60th edition of the tournament. They will begin that journey by facing the opponent who embarrassed them last season: Harvard University.

“Obviously finishing last last year really puts a lot of pressure on us to perform this year, and I think we’re up for the challenge,” said senior goaltender Kieran Millan. “I think that everybody on the team is pretty excited. It’s an unbelievable tournament. It’s a great opportunity to win a championship. I know it [stinks] being my last one, but hopefully it will be a good one.”

Read more at dailyfreepress.com.