From the Freep: Uncertainty at goaltender continues for BU

By Arielle Aronson/DFP Staff

LOWELL – Before the college hockey season began, No. 12 Boston University men’s hockey coach Jack Parker made it very clear who his top goaltender would be.

Senior Kieran Millan deserved the spot, Parker said, after three years of strong play in net and a 2010-11 season in which he was named as the team’s most valuable player. Millan’s roommate and close friend Grant Rollheiser would have to play second fiddle as a result of poorly timed injuries and Millan’s advantageous play.

But just seven games into the season, that landscape has changed in a hurry. Millan has played nowhere close to his usual stellar self through five of his six starts this season. He has not won a game since Oct. 15, when the Terriers (3-3-1, 2-2-1 Hockey East) topped then-No. 3 University of Denver and Millan won his 63rd game as a Terrier, a program record in career wins.

Excepting a shutout against the University of New Hampshire in the season opener, Millan has a .871 save percentage. Entering the season, Millan had a .911 career save percentage. In the goalie world, the difference between a .871 save percentage and a .911 save percentage can be the difference between a starting goalie and his backup.

Read more at dailyfreepress.com.

1. Millan is throwing away the opportunity to potentially do something special in his Senior year. I think it’s all in his head, which leads to poor technique and soft goals. He better figure out quickly how to make things right. At best I think Rollie and Millan should split time 50/50, and hopefully at least one of them will play well enough to instill some confidence amongst the team, coaching staff, and fans.

2. Most overrated goalie in BU history. I’d take Sean Fields any day over Kieran Milan.

3. or John Curry over Millan…

4. I’d take a traffic cone over Millan.