Coach Parker’s post-game transcript 10/14

General thoughts:
“I thought we weren’t ready for the speed of the game. They blew us out of the building the first ten minutes of the game. I thought even though we didn’t score we settled down a little bit in the first, then they got the third goal, but we were playing a little bit better in the second half of the first period. I thought we played well in the second, but once we made it 3-2 we started thinking, ‘Well, we’re OK now.’ We didn’t play anywhere near as hard as we had. We played better in the third at times, but they were faster with the puck and I thought they played harder without the puck than we did.”

On late arrival’s effect on game:
“None whatsoever. It made no difference.”

On Millan’s play:
“I thought we left him out to dry tonight. He had a couple back-door goals, a couple real bad missed coverages by us, the power-play goal was a bad screen, the guy didn’t block the goal he just screened our goalie instead. I should say, I don’t know if the guys actually blocked the shots, but Kieran didn’t quite see it. Alex went out to the guy, he made a pass, and Alex came back in but he came back in at the wrong angle so it went by him and to the point guy. He drilled it one time and Alex wasn’t in the shooting lane anymore. That was obviously the big goal. That was the power-play goal.”

Defense in first five minutes:
“One of them was just he made the right play, he just didn’t execute it. He had the right idea. We wanted to go to the weak side because they were playing in traffic and the guy right where he wanted him, and he went to pass it over to Sahir Gill who was wide open on the far side and he just shot his stick over the puck. The puck never went anywhere, and they just picked it off and went in on a two-on-one and scored.”

On how PC played with new coach:

“I’ve seen them play well under Army, too, and we’ve always had trouble down here so I think it’s a fair judgment for me to say that. In general I thought Providence College played very, very hard tonight. They played with a lot of energy, they kept it simple, they were a well-coached team and they came ready to play.”

On if BU played as hard as it could have:
“No. I think did at times and we certainly didn’t at the beginning of the game, and after we made it 3-2, I think there were times when we played pretty hard but for the most part we didn’t have their intensity.”

On Nicastro penalty after tying the game:
“That’s exactly what happened, we took the penalty we didn’t need to take and they got a power-play goal. We just tied it up after all that, we were down 3-0 and finally came back to make it 3-3, then we take a penalty and they get a power-play goal.”

Defensive lines:
“I don’t think we’ll change the people. We might change the partners, but the people will stay the same.”

On play from Privitera:
“I think he held onto the puck a few times too long. He doesn’t recognize the speed of the game, the physical aspect of the game, and I think other than some of the turnovers he had he played real well and had a lot of poise. He can’t be giving the puck up though. And he got left to dry one time on that play when his partner made a play to get the puck out of the zone, passed it up to the correct guy, then he kept going, then the puck was turned over and he was on the wrong side of the puck. That left Privitera out to dry a little bit.”

On what he told team during TO after first two PC goals:
“I just said, ‘Guys, we’re no longer on the bus. Lets get going here.’”

On what he told team between first and second periods:

“I’m sure the captains said something, I said a little something about it being a long way to go. I thought we started to play better at the end of the first.”

On trouble breaking into offensive zone:
“We had trouble because we wanted to make pretty plays. This rink, and especially the way they play, you have to dump it in a lot, and we weren’t doing it. We turned the puck over a number of times, we were trying to make a play, missing on the puck, and the puck gets chucked the other way, or the puck died right there when it should have been behind the goal line.”

On if team looked past PC:

“I don’t think it was because we looked past Providence, no, but I don’t think we were ready to start the game, that’s for sure, and once we made it 3-2 I think we kind of relaxed again.”