From the FreeP: Alex Chiasson emerges as leader for young team

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff

One year ago, Alex Chiasson joined veteran teammates Kevin Shattenkirk and Colby Cohen in the press conference room at TD Garden following Boston University’s 2-1 win over Northeastern University in the first round of the Beanpot.

Chiasson had just played one of the best games of his freshman season and he had a game-winning goal to show for it. As he followed the two upperclassmen onto the stage, he copied their every move and repeatedly looked over at them to see how they were conducting themselves.

Now, as the Terriers return to the Garden tonight for the first round of this year’s Beanpot, it’s Chiasson, who has a team-high 24 points, doing the leading. Now, it’s this year’s freshmen looking to him for guidance.

“They realize that this is an example to follow, that there’s success going on there,” BU coach Jack Parker said of Chiasson. “He’s getting goals, he’s getting a lot of ice time, he’s a real important player to this team and he’s one of the best players in the league. You wonder how he does that.

“Well, he does it by working real hard all the time, by coming to practice ready to go, by getting mentally ready to play, by being upset if he doesn’t play well. If he has a bad shift or a bad period, he tries to get himself straightened out and not just say, ‘Oh, it’s not my night.’ I think he’s a great example for the rest of the kids to follow.”

Read more at www.dailyfreepress.com.

1. Why is Chiasson seen as a leader?

He was drinking just like Warso and the Saporani brothers yet he go no punishment.

Way to play favorites Parker!

2. “Why is Chiasson seen as a leader?”

Lucky for you, Anonymous, there’s an article that answers that exact question right above your comment.

3. Terrier Fan Class of 1996

Hey ‘Anonymous’ — you must either be:

1) a BC “fan” more obsessed with hating Jack Parker than rooting for your own team. If so, you should channel your “passion” into supporting your Eagles and all of its accomplishments, or…

2) a misguided BU “fan” who thinks Jack Parker can’t do anything right in your mind.

4. I am with Scott and Terrier Fan Class here. First, Chiasson was suspended for the first two games of the season…I think that classifies as a punishment. Second, he has been one of the hardest workers on the ice all season if you have been watching the games at all. You earn being looked at as a leader it isn’t something Parker appoints to you.

5. You mean like the way Parker appointed Warso a captain even though no one on the team voted for him?

6. Parker appointed the captains this year because leadership was an issue last year obviously. The team did not vote on captains but seems like the captains have done a pretty good job this year so far to me. I am interested to hear who you would have preferred to be the captains on this team.

7. The captains were picked more or less the same way they’re always picked. Parker did end up letting the players vote in the end, and from what I understand, he and the players were pretty much in agreement on all three selections. I think most people, including myself, predicted it would be these three anyway in one form or another. Like quackquack, I’m not sure who else you would pick over any of them. These were the three obvious choices that I, and many other people, pegged pretty much from the get-go last year, just like it’s pretty easy to peg Chiasson as a likely captain next year (assuming he doesn’t go pro).

8. Way to go BU captains – you led BU to 5 straight losses to BC.

Kudos to you and kudos to Parker for picking you bums!

9. Who would you have picked? The team also only has three losses all year besides BC which is the #1 team in the country not an excuse just a fact.