Grading the Terriers: 2/12 vs. Maine

By Cary Betagole/DFP Staff

Offense: A
The Terriers tied a season-high by scoring seven goals Friday night. Sophomore forward Ross Gaudet picked up the first two, good enough to earn him his second No. 1 star of the season, and the Bonino line had a combined plus-12 going until University of Maine forward Robby Dee’s wrister late in the game knocked them down to a plus-9. Sophomore forward Vinny Saponari’s redirect on sophomore forward Chris Connolly’s slapper from the point put the Terriers’ up 3-2, and helped BU assert its dominance over the rest of the game. Seven was also the most goals Maine has given up in a game all season.

Defense: B+
“Our top line was certainly not our top line tonight,” said Maine coach Tim Whitehead. The Terriers shutdown the Black Bears’ dynamic top unit headed by Hobey Baker hopeful Gustav Nyquist. He finished at minus-2 and so did the rest of the first line. The BU defense handled the Black Bears well below the blue line, blocking 24 shots, but BU coach Jack Parker wasn’t satisfied with their aid of sophomore goalie Kieran Millan. According to Parker, the netminder didn’t have a fair shot at defending any of Maine’s four goals thanks to defensive breakdowns. Junior defenseman Colby Cohen (1 goal, 2 assists), who’s been hobbled with a hip injury, didn’t seem very bothered. “He’s feeling pretty good,” Parker said.

Special Teams: B+
The Terriers held the Black Bears to 1-for-4 on the power play, while going 1-for-3 on their own man advantage. Most of the Terriers’ offensive action took place at even strength. It was their defensive effort on a 5-on-3 kill midway through the second period that set the tone for the rest of the game. After sophomore Vinny Saponari went off for running over Maine defenseman Will O’Neill from behind, senior forward Luke Popko was called for a hook. But the Terriers’ were able to hold Maine scoreless through 1:39 of 5-on-3.

Goaltending: B-
Sophomore goalie Kieran Millan made 18 saves and allowed four goals to advance to 10-11-0 overall. He allowed a couple juicy rebounds, but the BU defense did a good job clearing, for the most part. In the postgame press conference, Parker spoke of the effect Millan’s superb new year has had on the confidence of the rest of the team, and perhaps that was his greatest contribution to the high-flying Terriers on Friday night.

X-Factor: The Bonino line
It seemed like the Bonino line could score at will Friday night. Gaudet had two goals, junior Joe Pereira added two assists and Bonino “stirred the drink” with a goal and an assist.