David Warsofsky, Luke Popko and Eric Gryba Postgame Transcripts

Warsofsky

On his goal:
I think the kid had it on the halfwall, and I kind of pokechecked it. The puck was rolling when I was going down, so I was just hoping to get a shot on net. It kind of surprised the goalie a little bit, and luckily it found its way through.

On what he saw as he came in:
We talk about goalies before the game, but when you’re in that situation, you kind of just shoot where you see what’s open. I thought glove was open, and luckily it went in.

On the team’s defense in the third period:
We wanted to stay on the attack. Sometimes when we sit back on our heels, they get a goal, and then we have to get another one. But we wanted to stay on the attack, and I thought we did that well. I thought we got after them hard. I thought we forechecked hard.

On winning three games in a row for the first time this season:
It’s definitely a good feeling for everyone in the locker room. Everyone’s happy. When you’re winning, everyone’s happy in the locker room. Practices are fun, and we’re winning. So, just keep it going now.

On if he senses a change in the way practices are going:
Yeah, definitely. We were a little up and down. We had a tough loss against UNH, and I think since that game, we’ve really turned it around. We know that if we don’t win every game, that could be the end of our season. I think we’re playing a little desperately right now, and hopefully we can keep winning.

On how aggressive the team was on the PK:
Our whole PK is built around being aggressive on the puck, pressuring them hard. In a smaller rink like that, you can really get on them pretty good. We kept up the pressure and we got a couple lucky bounces on the shorthanded goals.

Popko

On what changed with faceoffs in the third period:
Coach came in and said, ‘Just change.’ The first period, we did all right, and then the second period, he said we got smoked. He said, ‘Stop doing what you’re doing and just do something else.’ He kind of addressed that in between the second and third, so that kind of helped a lot.

On his line and the orders he barks to Courtnall and Santana:
It’s just telling them where to go on faceoffs pretty much. It’s nice finally starting to settle down with a regular line, kind of getting to know everybody. It’s nice that they work hard and bang around a lot out there. I think we do what we’re supposed to effectively. It’s worked out pretty well.

On if he misses having Joe Pereira on his wing:
I talk to him. I sit next to him in the locker room. So, I don’t miss him too much.

On holding Lowell to two shots in the third period:
Faceoffs help a lot. When you’re winning them, you get possession right away. We were just ready to play in the third.

Gryba

On holding Lowell to two shots in the third:
Guys really just shut them down. Guys were skating, moving their feet. This is an all-around good, solid defensive effort, especially in the third period.

On what happened to his chin, which was bruised and had a cut that required several stitches:
A guy’s elbow came up and the cage kind of caught me. It was a physical game out there. I took some liberties on them earlier in the year and they definitely weren’t too happy about it.

On if he can recall a team coming after him that much:
No. No one ever comes after me that much. Like I said, I took a few liberties on them earlier in the year and they didn’t like it too much. So, I guess they remembered.

On if he came away with any other scars:
No, just the chin and lip. I’ll live.

1. Gryba…what a toughie.