Grading the Terriers: 2/5 vs. UMass-Lowell

By Scott McLaughlin/DFP Staff
Offense: B+

The Terriers created plenty of chances, but if it weren’t for two goals on shorthanded breaks, they would’ve only had one goal to show for it. Still, BU controlled play for most of the night and swarmed the UML net seemingly at will. The Terriers registered 33 shots on net and an outstanding 26 grade-A chances, including 12 in the third period alone. Nick Bonino and Wade Megan both hit pipes in the final stanza as well. Bonino’s line combined for 11 shots, including Ross Gaudet’s eighth goal of the season.

Defense: A
The Terriers played arguably their best defensive game of the season. They held the River Hawks to 18 shots on net in the game, including just five in the first period and a remarkable two in the third. In the final 20 minutes, UML rarely had the puck in the BU end for any extended period of time, and BU did a great job of clearing away second chances. With Colby Cohen out, the other five regulars all stepped up. Parker said he thought Kevin Shattenkirk, Eric Gryba and David Warsofsky were all “great”.
Special Teams: B
BU ended up with a plus-1 special teams net, but it came in an unusual way. The Terriers scored two shorthanded goals — one on a great pass by Shattenkirk that sent Zach Cohen in on a breakaway and one on a turnover forced by Warsofsky that he finished himself. The River Hawks scored a power-play goal of their own, but finished 1-for-7 on the man advantage with just seven shots. BU gets a B, however, because its power play was also ineffective, going 0-for-5 with just five shots. Colby Cohen was clearly missed.
Goaltending: B+
Kieran Millan only faced 18 shots, but he made some pretty big saves. The River Hawks made a habit of teeing up slap shots from the wing, but Millan stayed square to all of them. He also made a few nice kick saves on low shots through traffic. There wasn’t a whole lot he could do on either UML goal. Ben Holmstrom just roofed his under the crossbar, and Scott Campbell’s was a tip-in from the doorstep after a great pass by Nick Schaus.
X-Factor: Shorthanded goals
It was right around this time last year when BU beat Northeastern in the Beanpot championship led by three shorthanded goals. Tonight, the Terriers scored two to completely deflate UML. The Terriers kept constant pressure on the River Hawks when they were killing penalties, creating a number of shorthanded chances and forcing UML offsides several times. Cohen snuck behind the Lowell defense to create his chance, and Warsofsky was aggressive pressuring the puck to force his turnover.