Terriers head to Lowell in search of third straight win

By Jake Seiner/DFP Staff

For four months, the Boston University men’s hockey team has combated the dreaded post-championship hangover with near disastrous results.

The 4-2 start to 2010 was a step in the right direction for BU (10-11-3, 7-9-2 Hockey East), but until last week, there still was something not quite right about BU coach Jack Parker’s Terriers.

After two consecutive weeks of “fabulous” practices, and consecutive wins over the No. 15 Universtiy of Massachusetts-Amherst and Northeastern University, Parker and his squad think they’ve finally turned the corner.

So far as Parker’s concerned, with a 7:30 p.m. matchup against the No. 18 University of Massachusetts-Lowell looming on Friday, Hockey East had better watch out –– BU is back and ready to party.

“I know they’ll all show up because of the way they’ve been practicing,” Parker said. “I have no worries about that.

“We haven’t won three games in a row, but we haven’t had this team. This team is different than the one I was coaching earlier. This team is capable of winning more than three games in a row.”

Numerous times this year, Parker has reminded the media of one of his favorite inspirational messages: “Attitude is everything.”

For the first four months of the season, Parker harped the message to his team, but until a team meeting on Jan. 25, the message hadn’t fully sunk into the Terriers’ heads.

“Trying to get there was a thin line, but this is solidly entrenched now,” Parker said. “These guys are ready to play.”

Among the key contributors to BU’s 6-2 second-half start has been sophomore netminder Kieran Millan, who will get the start against the River Hawks (14-10-2, 8-7-2).

Most recently, Millan has turned in consecutive stellar performances against UMass and Northeastern.

Against UMass last Friday, Millan turned away 39 of the Minutemen’s 41 shots, including 16 saves in a vigorously paced first period, aiding the Terriers to a 1-0 lead at the first intermission.

Against Northeastern in Monday’s Beanpot opener, Millan made 26 saves on 27 shots. Parker raved about Millan’s play, especially pointing to big saves made during a late 5-on-3 chance for the Huskies.

“He’s regained his freshman form, it seems,” Parker said. “I don’t think you can overestimate what happens when the goalie is playing well. Those little mistakes don’t jump into the net.

“It’s an amazing piece of any team and it’s hard to have just OK goaltending and feel like you’re going to have a successful night. Now, I think these guys are real confident in what’s going on behind them.”

Kibbles and bits:
The Terrier power-play, led by junior Colby Cohen’s seven man-up goals, is 10th in the nation, converting at a 21.1-percent clip. … UML is one of the nation’s strongest defensive teams, and is 10th in the country in goals-against average, allowing just 2.38 tallies per gam. … The Hawks have employed a rotation in net between seniors Carter Hutton and Nevin Hamilton. Hutton’s GAA stands at 2.07, with a .928 save percentage, while Hamilton has allowed 2.70 goals per game, stopping shots at a .911 percent clip.