Terriers fail to convert on three 5-on-3s

By Cary Betagole/DFP Staff

NORTH ANDOVER — Near the middle of the second period in Friday night’s game, Merrimack College lost sight of its goal.

Or at the very least it became a little fuzzy.

Like a self-esteem challenged bully playing Phys. Ed. dodgeball, a 3-1 lead couldn’t satisfy the Warriors. Insecurities loomed in the form of a good longterm memory, as Merrimack sought to physically punish BU for four years of perceived disrespect, racking up a slash, hook, board and hold between 10:21 and 8:18.

By trying to leave them for dead, Merrimack gave the Terriers life.

After a hooking call on defenseman Adam Ross, the Terriers had 1:37 of 5-on-3 to turn things around. Two more penalties extended the power play all the way to the 4:21 mark.

But like on all three of its two-man advantages, BU couldn’t convert.

“I was very disappointed with my team in the second period,” BU coach Jack Parker said. “They get a tip-in, tap-in goal and then we wilted.”

Junior defenseman Colby Cohen opened the power play with a wrister from the slot. Freshman forward Wade Megan scrambled to pitch it back on net, but Merrimack goalie Joe Cannata held his ground and covered.

A won faceoff led to multiple slappers from the perimeter, yielding nothing, and Parker called timeout to regroup.

Several one-timers later, BU still hadn’t scored.

“I thought we were moving it pretty good –– we just weren’t getting the right shots on it,” senior forward Zach Cohen said. “We just haven’t gotten the luck getting the rebounds and putting ’em in.”

Perhaps the tone was set on BU’s first period 5-on-3. Just 5:14 into the game, defenseman Kyle Bigos’ slash and forward Ryan Flanigan’s check from behind gave BU a chance to make a statement early.

“I thought the 5-on-3 to start the game set the tempo for us,” Merrimack head coach Mark Dennehy said. “Not that we want to be killing a 5-on-3, but we did such a good job of killing it, I think everybody in the building knew that we were going to play tonight-that we were here to play.

“We got guys who know how to play the game with big bodies who can block shots.”

By the time the Terriers’ third 5-on-3 chance came in the third, they were down 6-1 with little hope.

“It had already got out the window by that time,” Parker said. “We were so bad before that, it was just a matter of, we had already wilted.”

1. Yea because a hook and a hold are VICIOUS penalties. Did you even watch the game? BU gooned it up and Benedetto is a pussy and is afraid after JackPa chewed his head off.

You’re a joke. This story is a joke. BU practically played 1/2 a period on a 5-on-3 … yea, Merrimack wanted to KILL BU by taking penalty after penalty. You’re a tool.

2. I’ll admit as a Merrimack fan that the Warriors were very chippy at the end of the Serino regime. Not so anymore. Give it up.

3. Cary,
    Just admit your not a journalist. Your a fan boy.

4. I am a BU fan that was at the game and will freely admit that Merrimack was the far superior team last night. However, Merrimack’s penchant for taking cheap shots and gooning it up will eventually cost them. They’ve got some terrific players so why they have to play like thugs is beyond me. Hey, Warriors, stick to the game and forget about the late hits and high sticks!

5. As a Merrimack fan, I will say both teams had some cheap shots. BU certainly did some thugish things. Colby Cohen and Gryba. The hit on Pereira wasn’t dirty. It was unlucky he was right at the opening. The Flanigan charge in the 3rd was a dumb penalty trying to protect the lead. The Bowen trip (the 4th penalty of the 4 in a row) was stupid right in front of the referee. I cheered for BU throughout the NCAAs last year as I thought very highly of some of last year’s senior class with Higgs, Lawrence, McCarthy, etc. I am not a BU basher, but let’s think objectively. Both teams were guilty of some bad shots. This isn’t your Serino led MC squad.

6. It will take time for this team to develop. I only hope that we are not out of the playoffs by then.
    RalphB cba ’66