Grading the Terriers: 10/24 vs. Michigan

By Jake Seiner/DFP Staff

Offense – Grade B-

The Terrier offense benefited from the team’s noticeable jump in effort and hustle. Two of BU’s three goals were the direct result of pressure on the forecheck forcing mistakes by Michigan goaltender Bryan Hogan. There is still work to be done in the offensive zone –– BU is still not crashing the net for Grade-A opportunities beneath the circles enough. That said, the Terriers played much harder tonight than in their previous games, and the fruits of that labor were felt in the offensive zone.

Defense – Grade C

Michigan outshot the Terriers, 35-22, which says a lot about the puck possession the Wolverines maintained. That puck possession can be largely attributed to a buzzing forecheck that forced turnovers in the offensive zone for Michigan all night. In the third period, the Maize and Blue ripped an astounding 30 shots, 21 of which ended up on net. Granted, BU was tired playing down two men –– Nick Bonino left the game in the first period with a separated shoulder and Eric Gryba was escorted off the ice 2:15 into the third period on a game misconduct for hitting from behind. But BU needed to make better decisions breaking out of their own zone and not put so much pressure on Kieran Millan.

Goaltending – Grade A-

BU’s skaters were tired, and in the third period, Michigan attacked in full force. The Wolverines aforementioned 30 shot attempts in the third period came from all over the ice, and there was little the defense could do about it. BU won the game because Kieran Millan put his tired teammates on his back and carried them to the end of regulation. Yes, he gave up two goals in the third, and yes, he was in position to make the save on both of them. But for the first time this season, Millan looked like the same kid who carried BU to a national title a year ago.

Special Teams – Grade B+

The BU penalty kill was, for the second game in a row, outstanding. Playing without PK specialist Luke Popko (flu) and Bonino, BU killed a huge 5-on-3 chance early in the third, constantly taking away passing and shooting lanes while holding Michigan to just eight shots on six power plays, killing all six chances. On the power play, BU got the job done, converting 2-of-8 chances. That said, BU still struggled mightily with puck possession, and the pointmen continued to make poor decisions that, combined with lackadaisical puck movement, gave Michigan a number of easy clears off turnovers high in the zone.

X-Factor – Faceoffs

BU came into the game winning faceoffs at an abysmal .452 rate, and they were going against a Michigan team that had won draws at a .546 clip. Yet, without two of their best faceoff guys (Bonino and Popko), BU held the Wolverines to a meager 32-31 faceoff advantage. The performance was especially key as the Terriers faced a lot of faceoffs from their own zone, and Michigan didn’t need any more help possessing the puck in the BU zone.

1. Millan made some huge saves, good to see him looking like the Millan we’ve been waiting for