After last Saturday’s win against the No. 11 University of New Hampshire, the No. 18 Boston University men’s hockey team has officially made it through the first third of its 36 regular-game season.
The Boston Hockey Blog decided to compile an infographic on the team’s progress so far. We’ve also elaborated on some of the information in the graphic below and added things that couldn’t fit.
Rankings: No. 2 (preseason), No. 2, No. 7, No. 6, No. 12, No. 15, No. 18
As per USCHO.com
BU was slated as No. 2 behind University of Denver in the preseason poll, and kept this standing as it beat Union 4-1 during its home-opener and Quinnipiac University 4-3 in overtime. However, a sweep by Minnesota State University caused the Terriers to drop to No. 7. The following weekend, BU split its series against UConn and moved up a spot.
After losing to both the Denver and Providence College, the Terriers went to No. 12. The following weekend, BU split its Hockey East matchups after a win against Providence, but a loss to Northeastern, causing it to drop to No. 15. Finally, despite beating UNH, the Terriers were swept by Northeastern giving them a No. 18 spot in the polls.
Record: 5-6-1, 3-3-1 Hockey East during the Terriers’ first 12 games
Power Play: 20.4 percent
- Junior forward Bobo Carpenter has scored four of his seven goals while BU was on a power play.
Penalty Kill: 70.6 percent
- Carpenter scored two short-handed goals against UConn on Oct. 20.
Faceoff Wins: 50.9 percent
Goals per Game: 2.4
Shots per Game: 32.5
Other Leading Scorers:
- Freshman forward Shane Bowers (4g, 2a) – 6 points
- Sophomore defenseman Dante Fabbro (3g, 3a) – 6 points
- Sophomore forward Patrick Curry (2g, 1a) – 3 points
- Senior defenseman Brandon Hickey (1g, 2a) – 3 points
Terriers with Two Points: freshman forward Ty Amonte, graduate transfer forward Drew Melanson, freshman defenseman David Farrance
- Jake Oettinger sits on a .904 goal save percentage and 2.91 goals against average over 658:41 minutes
- Max Prawdzik owns a .968 goal save percentage and .91 goals against average over 66:03 minutes
Other Things to Note:
- Fabbro leads the team in blocked shots with 32
- Krys leads in shots with 45
- Freshman forward Brady Tkachuk leads BU with a plus-minus rating of +7
- The Terriers have been outscored 15-8 in the second period
- BU has allowed its opponent to score first in seven games with a 2-5 record in those contests
Other Notable Quotes:
- “For the next 50 minutes they played men’s hockey and we played boy’s hockey, and that was the difference.” — Coach Quinn after 3-6 loss to Minnesota State University
- “At the end of the day, this is a game about scoring goals. We can talk about forechecking, d-zone coverage, we can talk about power plays and penalty kills, but you got to score goals.” — Coach Quinn after 1-6 loss to then-No. 13 Northeastern University
After this weekend’s series against the University of Maine, the Terriers will only have five more games left before the end of the semester.
- Cornell University at Madison Square Garden for Red Hot Hockey, 8 p.m. on Saturday Nov. 25
- Boston College at Conte Forum, 7 p.m. on Friday Dec. 1
- Boston College at Agganis Arena, 7 p.m. on Saturday Dec. 2
- University of Massachusetts Lowell at Tsongas Center, 7:15 p.m. on Friday Dec. 8
- University of Massachusetts Lowell at Agganis Arena, 7 p.m. on Saturday Dec. 9