Forward Johnny McDermott Announces Transfer To Providence

Former Boston University men’s hockey forward Johnny McDermott is taking his talents to Hockey East rival Providence College, the sophomore announced Wednesday night via Twitter.

After receiving playing time in 14 games of his first season with the Terriers, McDermott was stuck behind a loaded freshman class of forwards on the depth chart this year and was unable to break onto the ice.

The Darien, Connecticut native took seven shots as a freshman, including two each against Union College and the University of Massachusetts-Lowell.

While he did not score a goal during his BU tenure, he recorded an assist in his first collegiate action. In a 6-1 win over Colgate University last season on Oct. 8, McDermott combined with current sophomore forward Gabriel Chabot (who has also struggled to find ice time this season) to set up former forward Tommy Kelley on a goal to give the Terriers a 4-0 lead in the game.

McDermott joins a Friars program that handed BU a disappointing 3-0 loss in Rhode Island on Saturday night and will take on BU this Friday night at Agganis Arena.

https://twitter.com/jmachockey/status/925899990035087360

1. Best of luck, Johnny!

2. McDermott was recovering from shoulder surgery entering his Freshman year and was a bit behind his classmates/teammates as a result. Unfortunately he never got on track and couldn’t crack the lineup consistently.

IMO he may have been better off having played in Juniors last year (USHL) and then have come to BU this year as a 20 year-old Freshman. Wish him well at PC, as he’s a great kid from a terrific family.