Weekend Roundup: Denver and Providence Games

The No. 6 Boston University men’s hockey team fell to both of its opponents, the No. 1 University of Denver and No. 11 Providence College, over the weekend.

Junior forward and assistant captain Bobo Carpenter went 36-for-52 at the face-off circles this weekend. PHOTO BY SYDNEY MAES/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

On Friday at Agganis Arena, Denver proved its dominance early with two tallies in the first four minutes of the game. Freshman forward Ty Amonte’s first goal of the season and another power-play goal from junior forward and assistant captain Bobo Carpenter in the same period tied the score.

However, another strike late in the 1st period from Pioneers forward Colin Staub gave them a 3-2 lead Denver would keep until sophomore defenseman Dante Fabbro evened the score more than halfway through the final period. As the game appeared like it would go into overtime, Pioneers forward Troy Terry squashed those quells by finding the back of the net with 16.1 seconds remaining.

The following night, the Terriers were unable to match Providence’s pace and physicality for the 60-minute matchup, but kept the Friars off the board in the first frame and neither players from each team were sent to the penalty box. Much of this changed in the second period, as Providence got on the board three times and BU’s performance began to decrease as they searched for a goal.

Quinn said, in the post-game press conference after the Terriers’ loss to the Friars, that his young team was likely still feeling the previous night’s defeat and carried it into the following matchup. Although, BU has a chance to redeem itself as it hosts Providence again next Friday at Agganis and will see its crosstown competitor No. 20 Northeastern University there the following night.

Read our articles from the weekend below:

Friday’s Articles

Recap – “Men’s hockey falls to Denver on game-winner with 16.1 seconds remaining

Side on Jake Oettinger’s performance in the net – “Despite 4-3 loss to Denver, men’s hockey sees encouraging signs from Oettinger

Saturday’s Article

Recap – “Men’s hockey falls  to Providence College 3-0 on the road

Here are Quinn and the players’ thoughts in the post-game press conferences and some Twitter posts from over the weekend: