Keller, others from BU hockey earn Hockey East awards

keller_maddiemalhotra_online-1-of-1-1600x1109On Thursday night at the Royal Sonesta hotel in Cambridge, Hockey East held its annual year-end banquet.

The event, which was hosted by emcee Dan Roche, included awards for the 2016-17 season, and several BU players earned plaudits.

Namely, Clayton Keller was named Hockey East’s Rookie of the Year, marking the ninth time a Terrier earned the distinction. Keller, also the recipient of an Army ROTC “Three Stars” Award, earned a spot on the Pro Ambitions All-Rookie Team alongside goaltender Jake Oettinger and forward Patrick Harper.

Keller’s night continued to get better, as he and Oettinger were also named Second Team All-Stars. Sophomore defenseman Charlie McAvoy, meanwhile, was named a First Team All-Star.

1. Happy for all those who got awards. It’s bad luck in some ways that so many BU players were honored in that some players I think were left out due to the fact other teams needed some representation. first Pat Curry, Chad Krys and Dante Fabro could have easily been picked for freshman team. jake in my opinion is best goalie in country so a runner up in that department is not appropriate he should have been on first team as well. Charlie is the best defenseman in the league so his runner up is not warranted as well. And how Hickey is not on first or second team all hockey east is mind boggling . I wish everyone well during the stretch run. such a great group of kids and coaches.

2. Awards clearly show you do not have to be an over rated 1st round pick to be recognized for all your hard work and efforts.

Great job to all BU players for a great year!