Robbie Baillargeon leaves BU, transfers to Arizona State

PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

One of the Boston University men’s hockey team’s most experienced forwards has left the program ahead of the 2016-17 season.

Robbie Baillargeon has transferred to Arizona State University as a graduate student. The Sun Devils, who captured the the 2014 ACHA national title, are entering their first season of Division I competition. 

Baillargeon began his college hockey career at Agganis Arena in 2013, bursting onto the scene as a bright spot from a 10-21-4 season. The Enfield, Connecticut native’s 27 points were best on the team, while his 10 goals and 17 assists were both tied for the team lead.

Also the Ottawa Senators’ fifth round selection in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Baillargeon’s torrid scoring pace slowed down come his sophomore campaign. 

His three goals and 13 assists were helpful contributions en route to BU capturing a Beanpot Trophy, Hockey East regular season title and Hockey East Tournament championship. Baillargeon, who starred with the Omaha Lancers of the USHL before joining the Terriers, also battled mononucleosis in 2014-15.

Come Baillargeon’s junior year, his performances became inconsistent, as head coach David Quinn tossed various linemates his way. The future Sun Devil finished with six goals and six assists, with a trio of three-game point streaks popping up throughout the 2015-16 season.

After BU was bounced from the 2016 NCAA Tournament by the University of Denver on March 26, speculation arose that Baillargeon would finish his college career beyond Commonwealth Avenue. He wasn’t named a captain of any sort for his senior season, and now he’ll take his talents to The Grand Canyon State’s up-and-coming program.

1. SonofCaesarCarlaci

I don’t think Quinn wanted him back. showed nothing on the ice in most games. But good luck to him. Can not see him having much of a future in hockey. Hope he plans another career for himself.

2. Good luck Robbie! Light it up against BC this coming November 13th.

3. This kid can play. He proved it at bu he had some bad luck and health issues his sophomore year never got on the right track this past season. His confidence was not there till the end. I was hoping for good things from him this year. I think a change in venue will do him good. Mark my words we will miss him. Even when his offensive numbers were not great he played solid two way hockey. He will find the front of the net and unleash that quick wrist shot of his. And someone in the senators organization must be thinking he can play too. Good luck Robbie it’s been a pleasure watching you play hockey here for the last 3 years?