Boston Hockey Pod: Following Lowell series, questions remain for BU hockey

Hi, friends! After taking a week off, we recorded another podcast following the aftermath of what was a pretty crazy series up at Lowell last weekend.

Here’s half an hour of complaining and analysis:

1. son of Caesar Carlaci

We do have a chance in the NCAA’s if we assume that the team has not given up this year. “Lack of maturity” quote by Quinn might mean that he will recruit an older player going forward I would think. I think he means that the younger players have not gotten into practices as they should have at this time of year.

2. son of Caesar Carlaci

3. Friend_of_BU_Hockey

I believe BU is the 2nd youngest team in D1 in terms of average age. Only BC is younger. Even though I don’t agree with the practice many coaches at other programs follow of almost exclusively recruiting older players, there is value in recruiting 1-2 older players in each class. Chances are they will be more mature, more likely to stay 4 years b/c they weren’t drafted and/or are late bloomers, and can make the transition to college hockey more smoothly both on and off the ice.

I think the recent success programs that almost always recruit older players are enjoying (i.e. Providence, Union, Quinnipiac and Lowell) certainly has raised awareness of this topic throughout college hockey. Unless the B1G legislation passes, I think in the coming years the incoming recruiting classes full of high-end talent will likely be filled out with a few older players who can provide maturity and leadership within their respective classes (and to the team as a whole).

4. It certainly is not a talent issue with two members of the team on the first team all hockey east, one honorable mention and two on the first team all hockey east rookie team. A lot of talent for a fifth place finish and quarterfinal elimination.It seems the team never jelled.

5. and how about them Lady Eagles choking again in the big one. Love it, love it, love it. Pain on Chestnut Hill brings me such joy.

Maybe Bobo can win a championship to the carpenter family