The 2015-16 Hockey Preview Issue is here!

After several long weeks of reporting, interviewing, photographing and writing, our annual Hockey Preview Issue is here! You can check out all of our stories here.

You can pick up a print copy at multiple locations across BU’s campus. If you aren’t near campus, you can see the PDF of the print edition here.

Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say about this year’s issue!

1. First of all, Eichel just scored his first NHL goal on a power-play. Second, for those who might be thinking of traveling to Union, they are sold-out. I bought a standing-room only ticket but am not sure if they are still available. So, call their ticket office before you go.

2. Son of Caesar Carlaci

Great job, guys. Wonderful way to follow BU Hockey. Hope this experience get Sarah et al a great job in sports reporting in the future.

3. I should have definitely started by saying this is a spectacular collection of articles to kick-off the BU Hockey season. Bravo to Sarah et al for all they’ve done to keep us informed. I will begin reading tomorrow morning, though I have skimmed them and know I will enjoy the reading.

4. Any update on Matt G.s’ status for the game against Union ?

• Sarah Kirkpatrick

There’s no return date yet for Grzelcyk, but we do know it won’t be for several more weeks.

5. Hi Larry. I do not have that answer but from all I heard, nobody expects him to be back quite that soon. I would expect it to take a few more weeks.

6. I think this year’s team will surprise many people with it’s achievements,Missing Jack,certainly will put an obvious dent in the scoring department.As far as the Captain returning to play,I heard Coach on the radio saying that they were going to be very cautious bringing Grzelcyk back to ice.(games)Go TERRIERS…

7. It was not exactly the surprise I expected. I know it is only one game but it is still disappointing especially the undisplined penalties and poor defensive play. I wonder if a certain freshman who was rerouted to another school could have helped in a close game decided in the last few minutes. I believe he had a hat trick in his debut and an assist the second night. I hope there are better results next weekend.

• Really,the negative comments already??After 1 game,you can’t be serious,but probably are..This is a very good team,obviously not the fire power of last season,but I still believe that this team will do very well.And how about Dante Fabbro committing,another potential 1st round pick.I think the program will be an elite one for years to come,NO MORE 5 YR HARDWARE DROUGHTS!!!

8. Here we go with the negativity…game one. Where were your comments during the exhibition game? Oh right BU won that game so you couldn’t go down negative lane. Maybe you should root for UCONN this year since your favorite player is there? Or maybe you just like to criticize? In my best snooty voice, “oh I wasn’t surprised at all. This team isn’t anything bc we lost an UNDISCIPLINED freshman and Jack Eichel is a PRO. Oh and the precious Friends group has ceased because “Dave is a puppet and lets Admin walk all over him UNLIKE Jack Parker, my BFF and mentor” arghhhhhhhh
    PUHLEEEZ for the love of all that’s HOCKEY….stop being Debbie Downer. Max is gone, Jack is gone, Parker is gone….come live in the present and appreciate what is unfolding before your eyes…..

9. Mr know it all I thought exhibition games do not count maybe in your fantasy world they do. I am rooting for Max not UConn. According to the coach my criticism is justified! The game was lost due to undisplined penalties and shody defense. Apparently you have difficulty understanding my remarks as I never criticized the Freshman or mentioned Eichel, the Friends, the current coach or his predessor. You are a one trick pony that continues to make personal attacks that are not true ! I will never be happy or positive when B.U loses! The one positive from the game was the goalie, Sean kept them in the game and gave them a chance to win other then that it was disappointing.

• Then why didn’t you mention that ONE positive? WHY are you rooting for Max? Do you know him?
      Did you SEE the game? The reffing was atrocious!! YES the defense was poor but they played well in the exhibition. ANd yes I know it doesn’t count but I also like to talk about the positives.
      Touche’ because I also think you are a one trick pony living in the past, disgruntled about god knows what and need to look on the bright side once in a while.
      PS: Ozzie points out another positive you missed! NO doubt if they lose a 4pm game (that the coach LIKES by the way) we’ll hear it from you.

10. Look at the bright side at least they played the game a 7pm

11. Most of the road games are played at 7 or later.. I wonder why?

12. Mr positive, I don’t find positives in losing, never have never will especially since these types of defeats have haunted B.U. twice in the last decade . Both times B.U.was the last team to be eliminated from the NCAA tournament. According to your beloved coach, the one who almost won the NCCA tournament, the lose was due to undisplined penalties and poor defensive zone coverage not the refferes . I never blame the refs for a lose. It is a losers mentally, a poor excuse for a teams weaknesses. I root for Max because of the raw deal he received at B.U. I am far from disgruntled but I respect the past and feel that ignoring it is a mistake. I have not found one season ticket holder that likes the 4pm start time. Apparently you don’t read all my comments as l did hope that results would be better next week.

• So,are you a Quinn fan?Or hater?One of 3 coaches to win his first 3 NCAA tournament games,and one of the best turnarounds in College Hockey history,why?Because some of HIS recruits played for him…And I don’t think it is a coincidence that the last NCAA Championship Team at BU,was recruited by Quinn.Of course the assistant’s have to be given a ton of credit as well,no doubt.Enjoy the season,Go TERRIERS!

13. I was surprised that they lost to an unranked opponent. Especially since those type of loses kept B.U. out of the NCAA tournament twice in the last decade. Sorry I have no patience for losing, first game , last game or middle of the season. No disrespect to Union as they played better and deserved the victory. Too many penalties and defensive breakdowns. I hope these problems are corrected and results are different this weekend.

14. I am neither a hater or fan. I respect him as a person and coach. Obviously a great recruiter and he really improved as coach last year. I think he is still learning and is growing into the job. Unfortunately you don’t get a statue built for being runner up. It was a great run and magical season until the last ten minutes. I am still puzzled by the third periods of the semifinal and final games. So dominant in the third until those two games. My biggest concern is that he doesn’t understand that the job of the hockey coach is more than recruiting an coaching the team. It involves all aspect of the program and the understanding of how B.U operates. I do not think he has business experience and I believe that he could be listening to the wrong people. In my opinion many of these businesses decision are questionable and don’t make sense. However it is program and he should do what he feels is correct.

• And how long have you been following hockey?Still learning as a coach?That has to be one of the top 3 most ridiculous statements I have read on this blog,And your right,they don’t build statues for the runner-up,I’m just curious about all these top notch recruits that are coming to BU,who could have played at any other top D-1 program,obviously they want to play for the Coach…..I’m out,enjoy the season.God forbid they don’t go undefeated for the rest of the schedule……?

15. You are entitled to your opinion. I expected a better start especially with such a high preseason ranking.

• And why are you puzzled about the last 10 minutes of the season,O’C made a mistake,which is completely normal for any person.Not blaming him at all,without him,BU never would have made it that far into the tournament.Unfortunately with the youngest team in the Country,BU was unable to recover from that blunder.And give credit where it is due,PC shut down Eichel for most of the game,and Gillies was standing on his head….

16. I have been following B. U. Hockey for over 50 years. My remakes concerning his coaching is not about the recruiting or his coaching the team. It has to do with the other aspects of the job . More specifically his relationship with students and Alumni. I know for a fact that many wealthy older Alumni have given up their seats and financial support due to some decisions that he blessed. It is my belief that these are honest mistakes that he will regret. I am not comparing him to his predessors but they had a different view of the job. At the end of the day David’s vision of how it should be run is the only one that matters. I believe that in time you will understand that my comment about him still growing into the job is more right than wrong and far from ridiculous.

• I can’t believe a man of your age could be so wrong about so many things concerning BU HOCKEY,which I Have been following since 1982,when I was 15.I will not make any negative comments about you,or your posts.I was raised to respect my elders!GO TERRIERS…

17. The youngest team in the country excuse just doesn’t work in the Frozen four. All year B.U. was this best third period team in the nation until the last two games. I am puzzled that in both games they lost their poise in the last ten minutes of the third period.No disrespect to Providence at the end of the day they executed better.

• Not an excuse at all Sir,I am simply stating a FACT,I was also at the game,and PC did an excellent job of stopping Eichel from being his usual dominant self,another fact…

18. @ BU Hockey 7
    IGNORE Un Larry, Larry whoever the heck he is writing under these days. He says the CRAZIEST things. He knows NOTHING about what it takes to be a D1 college hockey coach. He is extremely critical of every little thing, constantly refers to “the past” and acts as if the BU Hockey program owes him something. Of course this is all MY OPINION. You would think he invested like the 90 million it cost to build Agganis by the comments he makes. EX1:” I am neither a hater or fan. I respect him as a person and coach. Obviously a great recruiter and he really improved as coach last year.” WHAT??? As if Quinn is a coach in training or something. Hate to break it to you Larry, they don’t pay coaches that “are improving” half a MIL a year!
    EX2: ” My biggest concern is that he doesn’t understand that the job of the hockey coach is more than recruiting an coaching the team. It involves all aspect of the program and the understanding of how B.U operates. I do not think he has business experience and I believe that he could be listening to the wrong people” LOLLL This is just Larry boo hoo-ing because they got rid of the Friends of Bu group and replaced it with a more prestigious group of donors that he’s not one of.
    Ex3. ” I know for a fact that many wealthy older Alumni have given up their seats and financial support due to some decisions that he blessed. It is my belief that these are honest mistakes that he will regret. I am not comparing him to his predessors but they had a different view of the job”
    OK so what Larry deems “wealthy” and what other people deem wealthy are apparently 2 different things. This is Larry really stating that Jack Parker had complete control of the program. Well…the way I see it, the more control Parker took on, the less control he had over his players. Which IMO, resulted in his demise. Sure he’ll always be a legend in college hockey, and IMO he should have stuck with coaching instead of all the other crap he put his hands into.
    And that’s all MY OPINION of negative nelly.

• Guest66,you couldn’t be more accurate on this clown,I will definitely take your advice and ingore his ridiculous comments.Thank you for the excellent post and advice!

19. You are a truly an ignorant individual, who continues to personally attack me just because my opinion differs from yours. According to you, Dave is perfect and never has made a mistake. If l disagree you, your only responses is that I am crazy or bitter or disgruntled. I am only half crazy and no nothing about coaching. What my family contributed to Walter Brown and Agganis arena is none of your business. I have received a lot more from the hockey program than any one person deserves and never felt I was owed anything. I was in business for almost 27 years before I retired. Daves’ salary is irrelevant to this discussion and is really nobody’s business. Your definition of wealth and mine are probably very different. Your continued cheap shots at the former coach and the Friends are unwarranted but predictable from a one trick poney.

20. I forgot to add that I was invited to join that alleged new prestigious group and was surprised that the minimum donation requirement was significantly less than I expected.

21. Only time will tell if I am right or wrong. I may know more than you think. I have made more good decisions in my life than bad ones. You can ignore my comments l could care less. It is clear to me that you idolize the present coach and In your mind he can do know wrong. You certainly cannot accept other people’s points of views.

22. The fact is that in the last 10 minutes of each frozen four game the team failed to execute and lost its poise. Typical losers mentality to blame youth for the defeat in the finals. Stop being a cry baby, WA WA WA ! It is the same players that defeated Yale, Minn- Duluth and North Dakota (except for the last 10 minutes) and executed well in the clutch.

23. Sticks and stones may break my bones but names will never hurt me,

24. Perhaps you and Guest 66 can build a statue of your beloved coach so that both of you can worship him on a daily basis. For some one who is ignoring me, you certainly are busy with your insults and less than well thought out comments.