’95 F Ryan Cloonan commits to BU

According to his Twitter account, 1995-born forward Ryan Cloonan has committed to play hockey at Boston University.

An East Longmeadow native, Cloonan currently plays for the Boston Jr. Bruins of the USPHL. In 47 games this season, he has recorded 61 points (18 goals, 43 assists). He had previously committed to the University of Maine in 2010, but decommitted in 2013 when coach Tim Whitehead was fired.

Earlier reports indicated Boston College had interest in Cloonan.

1. Welcome to bu

2. How many guys are coming next year ? We could have the largest squad in history if almost all current players stay.

3. Does anyone know how this Cloonan fellow measures up on the Uncommitted Prospect rankings? As for Walter’s question, it looks like there are six guys coming next year. However, College Hockey Inc has Cloonan arriving at BU in 2016.

4. Friend_of_BU_Hockey

Cloonan is a 2016 recruit. He’ll be a 21 year-old Freshman.

It appears the current staff’s recruiting approach is to supplement each class with 1-2 older players who can provide a mature presence and leadership within each class. The current Freshman class has Olsson and Lacouvee, both of whom turn 21 this year. Next year Sean MacTavish is the 21 year-old Freshman, with Cloonan in 2016, and Kole Sherwood as a 20 year-old in 2017.

If there are unexpected departures, it’s also less challenging to accelerate an older player to backfill open roster spots.