A note to our readers

To our readers:

We’ve received quite a bit of feedback over the past several weeks about our transition to the new Boston Hockey Blog platform. We wanted to address some of your concerns in a somewhat more organized manner, so here’s a “State of the Boston Hockey Blog” address, if you will.

Many have voiced concerns about the new commenting methods. We have now turned on the option to comment anonymously in the hopes that it will foster a livelier and more engaging discussion. We hope that conversation will remain respectful and productive, but you now have the option to voice your thoughts without revealing your identity if you feel more comfortable that way.

In terms of the live blog, many of you have expressed concerns with the CoverItLive window cutting off when using it in a mobile or tablet format. One of our readers (thank you!) reached out with a solution, and we consulted with our online editor. We believe we have found a solution — essentially, it involves an option we didn’t realize need to be checked off while setting up the live blog, and a few other sizing options. This should solve orientation and spatial issues for future live blogs, but if it doesn’t, please let us know and we will work to fix it as quickly as possible.

There are a few more nitty-gritty issues in terms of bugs that are plaguing the dailyfreepress.com domain as a whole — any time you get an error message, that has to do with an internal issue with the whole website. We believe it’s partially due to the number of users within the system, as we have a new process of posting stories. That’s also something we’re trying to solve with our web developer, and we’re hoping error messages become limited in the future. Errors on any website are inevitable, but we’ll do our best to limit the frequency.

As we’ve mentioned before, this year has been a huge transition for the newspaper as a whole and also for this specific blog. In addition to being an entirely new beat, we are testing out a completely new platform and trying to make our content more online-oriented, as to correspond with the new ideology of The Daily Free Press as a whole. We know that change can be difficult, but we are determined to make sure all of the changes within the blog and its structure are positive.

We appreciate your patience and loyalty throughout this process, and we hope you continue to be patient as we sort through our technical issues over the next little while. In an exciting year for the BU men’s hockey team, we will continue to try our hardest to bring you up-to-date and informative content about your favorite team. As always, if you have any questions, comments or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out.

All best,
Sarah, Andrew and Conor

1. Thanks for the update! We appreciate all your hard work!
    GO BU!!

2. I wonder how much of the reduced output of reader comments is due to the change in format and how much is due to the team playing exceedingly well now … and the DQ critics have nothing to say (as many of us had predicted).

3. Friend_of_BU_Hockey

Ditto what Allison said!

Glenn: Agreed on both points, but more so on the latter.

Really excited to see how well they play vs. MSU and Michigan. I’m sure there’ll be bumps in the road this season, but the upside to this team is huge. A vast difference compared to last season.

4. Thank you for your work. You guys are doing a great job. So far I have not had any problems calling this blog up this week as I did last.

5. How about putting up a test CoverItLive today so we can see if you are ok for tonight?