Former Catholic Memorial star Liam Coughlin will join Terriers this fall

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

Former Catholic Memorial star forward Liam Coughlin has committed to Boston University for this fall, sources told The Daily Free Press. It had been reported that Coughlin was committed to the University of Massachusetts.

The 6-foot-3 South Boston native, who was born in 1994, will add some a scoring touch to an already large group of incoming freshmen this fall. He totaled 51 points (27 goals, 24 assists) in 21 games played as a senior at Catholic Memorial in 2012-13 before tallying 45 points in 53 games with the Vernon Vipers of the British Columbia Hockey League this season.

Playing in Vernon has been a common path for Catholic Memorial players looking to play in Hockey East. Former BU captain Garrett Noonan and former Merrimack College captain Mike Collins both spent at least one season in Vernon before coming to play in Hockey East.

Congrats to @Liam_Coughlin7 on committing to BU! Can’t wait to see you rip it up! #CM #Vernon #BU
— Garrett Noonan (@GarrettNoonan13) April 1, 2014

Former Terrier forward Sahir Gill also spent two seasons with the Vipers before coming to BU.

The Terriers now have 10 recruits slated to join the squad in the fall, five of which are forwards. With that group added to a team that is expected to return 20 players from the 2013-14 roster, there will certainly be more healthy scratches watching games from the press box than there were this past season.

1. I don’t think all will be coming back in the Fall. Lowell had a very large roster and used it to good advantage this year. BCHL has some tough guys and I hope Liam is one of them.

2. i hope you are right. what bothers me is that we lost out on wood and some other kid that committed to wisconsin, so i hope coughlin is not just a leftover. we shall see

• Regardless of you comment, we did not settle for this kid. Or did we?

• We have a bunch of very good recruits coming in. Wood would have been nice but it’s not possible to get them all. Playoffs this coming year, Frozen Four year after. Think positive.

3. Will the Freep be doing any season recap/look ahead to next season?

4. I’m not too excited if he’s suppose to be the next Sahir Gill.

5. and i am not too excited if Eichel is supposed to be the next charlie coyle

• Coyle played awesome after he left BU.

• right…. AFTER. who cares what he does in the pros

• Eichel is being called a “generational player.” This kid has consistently been a standout in global competition against players older than he is. He will far surpass Coyle. The only problem is BU will likely only have him for a season, maybe two before he turns pro.

• Coyle’s status in the eyes of the NHL took a big hit in his time at BU. He had to leave to reestablish his reputation and now has a NHL career.

• I’m not sure what you guys are talking about … with regard to Coyle playing so badly at BU. He scored at almost a point per game rate. The scoring line that he produced while playing in the “Q” was even more impressive. That was probably because he was playing against kids who were younger and smaller (as is turning out to be the case with Kurker in the USHL). Has he played “awesome” for the Minnesota Wild? For sure! Still, his stock did not plummet as a result of his days at BU … it rose significantly.

• Revisionist history on Coyle. He blossomed only after he left.

6. this kid has everything BU is looking for size speed and love for the game something they have missed out on in the past years him and the others are the start to BU”s start of running the nation in hockey just wait

• If he’s so great, then why did we settle for him after our prior targets chose BC and Wisconsin?

• If we can get Eichel to come in the first place, and then get him to stay for 2 years, then i would be more than happy and grateful. for example, i have no regrets that wilson was one and done. he produced.

the previous blogger raises a good point. coughlin was obviously not our first choice. that does not mean, he will not produce.

coyle stock at BU dropped because his heart wasn’t in to it. he was thinking pros from the moment he got here and never fully committed in his mind.

but that is ancient history.

i love the albie o’connell hire – great recruiter. he got gaudreau to come to NU. i am hoping he might be able to entice donato to come to BU, especially if his old man gets canned. you never know with these flighty kids

• Sounds like you described Sahir Gill – not an impressive comparison.

• Gill was far more highly touted that this guy and look at how Gill turned out.