Pluses & Minuses: Evan Rodrigues a bright spot in Beanpot loss

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

For the seventh time in its last eighth tries, the Boston University men’s hockey team lost a Beanpot game at TD Garden. This one was a 6-2 decision at the hands of Harvard University, the third time in four years the Terriers (8-16-4, 3-8-3 Hockey Eat) lost the tourney’s consolation game to the Crimson (8-12-3).

BU jumped out to a 1-0 lead but were outscored 6-1 in the final 40 minutes. Here’s a look at what went right, and what didn’t, for the Terriers.

Minuses:

‘Purpose’ and ‘responsibility’
Two of BU coach David Quinn’s recent buzzwords. He said during the last three weeks or so, the Terriers have been seemed more mature on the ice, playing with purpose and making better decisions. That has led to a better “feel” about the team, as Quinn put it Thursday, with the Terriers picking up momentum even though the wins aren’t coming as quickly.

That wasn’t the case Monday. For more, read Meredith Perri’s article in Tuesday’s Daily Free Press.

Power play
By failing to convert on both of their man-advantage chances — a shot-less one in the first, then a three-shot span in the second — the Terriers have not scored on the power play in their last 24 opportunities. That stretch coincides with sophomore defenseman Matt Grzelcyk’s season-ending surgery.

Even when BU garnered three shots with Harvard’s Brian Hart in the box in the second period, they power play had trouble maintaining possession, at times looking like they were the ones shorthanded.

“We’re half a second slow on shooting the puck, we’re half a second slow on getting to the net for the rebound, we’re half a second slow screening the goalie,” Quinn said. “We’re not quick enough to do anything. We buzzed and looked like we had some zone time and looked like we might get one, but we just weren’t able to capitalize.”

The Terriers made up for it somewhat by killing all three Crimson power plays.

Sean Maguire
It was the sophomore netminder’s first game action since Jan. 25, as a bout with the flu kept him out of action for about two weeks. Whether it was rustiness, still not feeling 100 percent or just an off night, Maguire (31 saves) gave up four goals by the time Quinn pulled him for an empty net with 2:40 to go.

The decision to start Maguire in the consolation game was an easy one for Quinn. He had been playing well before getting sick, and despite Matt O’Connor’s impressive three games, to get Maguire back between the pipes was only fair.

Quinn didn’t pin any of the goals on Maguire — rarely does he ever blame his goalie. Rather, it was a freak bounce here, a blown backcheck there. Put them together and it’s three goals in seven minutes for the Crimson.

In eight games since the start of January, Maguire has given up four or more goals in four times.

Pluses:

Evan Rodrigues
Rodrigues found the back of the net for the first time since Dec. 7 — a two-month span that isn’t as bad as it seems considering BU had three weeks off, then Rodrigues missed some time with a bum knee.

Still, it was just the third goal of the year for the junior forward, who also assisted on sophomore defenseman Ahti Oksanen’s goal in the second to give him an even 10 points on the season.

It was a bit of a monkey off his back, Rodrigues agreed. He wouldn’t be surprised if they started to come in bunches.

“I’ve been playing better as of late,” Rodrigues said. “The chances are coming, it’s just not going in. You can’t really get down on yourself, you just have to keep going. Tonight one went in the net, and maybe next time it doesn’t. Maybe another game I get three.”