Terriers drop hard-fought battle with BC in Beanpot opener

Boston College defenseman Steve Santini hits
Boston University forward Mike Moran.
Photo by Michelle Jay
By Meredith Perri/DFP Staff

Already in a 2-0 hole during the second half of the middle frame, the Boston University men’s hockey team found itself with another disadvantage. As freshman defenseman Doyle Somerby skated off the ice with a game misconduct, the Terriers would need to kill off a five-minute major penalty and deal losing a defenseman from an already thin lineup.

As the minutes ticked away, the Terriers (8-15-3, 3-8-2 Hockey East) displayed one of their most impressive penalty kills of the season. Those five minutes of strong play, however, meant little as the Terriers could not find the back of the net during Monday’s 3-1 Beanpot opening loss to No. 2 Boston College at TD Garden.

Carrying its two previous losses to the Eagles (20-4-3, 12-1-1 Hockey East) on its shoulders, BU came into the weekday tilt with the clichéd mindset that anything could happen in the Beanpot. Anything began to fall to the wayside when BC jumped on the board just a few minutes into the game.

With senior captain Patrick MacGregor in the box for tripping at 3:51, the conference’s top offense found the back of the net within seconds. A mere 13 seconds after pick up the man advantage, BC took its initial lead defenseman Teddy Doherty sent a pass across the ice to open winger Ryan Fitzgerald.

The freshman out of North Reading proceeded to wrist the puck by BU sophomore netminder Matt O’Connor and into the top shelf of the net for his ninth goal of the season.

Coming into Monday’s tilt, the Eagles held a 14-0-1 record when they scored first while BU was 1-8-0 when its opponent took the initial lead.

The Eagles extended their lead less than two minutes into the second period when their storied second line of Johnny Gaudreau, Bill Arnold and Kevin Hayes teamed up for their collective 135th point of the season.

After receiving a pass from Gaudreau, Arnold skated up to the crease and deked out O’Connor on the right side of the net. Arnold then sent a sharp-angled pass to Hayes who sat at the open side of the goal.

Halfway through the period and down 2-0, Somerby and Hayes got into a scuffle that ended when Hayes landed on the ice. Somerby initially skated into the penalty box before he was he left the ice with a game misconduct and a five-minute major for hitting from behind. Freshman wing Robbie Baillargeon and Arnold also picked up penalties as they were each called for roughing.

The five-minute penalty came as BC began to close in on the shot advantage BU had held for the majority of the night. Despite the disadvantage, the Terriers fended off BC for the entire five minutes, and had two shorthanded opportunities during the kill as well.

Although BC netminder Thatcher Demko and the Eagles defense continued to stymie the Terriers, BU nearly cut the lead in half about four minutes into the third. Senior captain Garrett Noonan started off one of the stronger opportunities for the Terrires as he sent a pass over to sophomore wing Matt Lane. Although Lane had a wide-open net, he could not get a strong shot off. Freshman wing Kevin Duane attempted to pick up the rebound, but the puck appeared to have eyes as it trickled off the pipe stick side and went wide.

The Terriers fate changed just two minutes later when it finally found the back of the net as the Terriers first line teamed up to make it a 2-1 game. Sophomore wing Danny O’Regan got the play started after he cut off a pass from Demko behind the net. O’Regan then sent the puck over to Baillargeon. The freshman out of Enfield, Conn., flung the puck to the right of Demko for his seventh goal of the season.

For the second time in as many meetings, though, Gaudreau finished off the game with any empty-net goal to secure a BC victory. The loss marks the second time in two seasons that BU’s seniors will graduate without a Beanpot title.

More to come…

1. That was a hard fought effort. Unfortunately, they end up on the losing end. Poor kids. I sure hope they can get a couple more wins before the season ends.
    Ps: to the weirdo who keeps posting “hey ho dq must go” u do know u sound like a complete moron right? How old are you? You’re also the same person who continuously states over and over parker would’ve won, parker would’ve done this, Parker would’ve done that…in case you haven’t heard parker retired, this is not the same team as last year’s and as much as you despise quinn, he is here for the long haul. And I can’t wait until you have nothing to squawk about….that will be a great day for all true BU hockey fans….it’s coming…sooner than you think!!

2. First, I agree with the above about Quinn. He will be a great coach. He was left with a mess and it will take a couple of years to fix it. This will be our fifth year without a Beanpot and Parker was the coach of the last four. Team has been going downhill from the championship season onward. They played their hearts out last night. Good for them. And to the jerk “guest” who is such an ass here and on the live blog: Get a life and get out of these blogs.

• Friend_of_BU_Hockey

Rumor has it the jerk “guest” is actually a BC “fan” who’s already been banned on the USCHO Fan Forum due to the nature of his posts.

3. Please take down that picture of Moran getting crushed. It makes him look small and weak.