From the FreeP: Terriers, No. 14 Cornell to take over Madison Square Garden for fourth edition of Red Hot Hockey

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Sports

The Boston University men’s hockey team will hit the big city Saturday when it takes on long-time rival No. 14 Cornell University at Madison Square Garden for the fourth edition of Red Hot Hockey.

The Terriers (6-6-1, 2-3 Hockey East) are still unbeaten in Red Hot Hockey matchups, going 2-0-1 in the first three contests. The 2011 edition was capped off in grand fashion for BU, when then-senior Ross Gaudet deflected in a game-winning goal in overtime in front of 18,200 fans.

Unlike the rivalry between BU and Boston College, this is not a short trip up the road and the teams do not face off two or more times per season. So when the former ECAC foes take each other on, bragging rights last a lot longer.

“[The rivalry] really originated with the great teams of [former Cornell coach] Ned Harkness and [former BU coach] Jack Kelley,” said BU coach David Quinn. “It is two of the premier college hockey programs in the country year in and year out. Both teams have such a strong alumni based in New York City. It’s kind of like our bowl game.”

The Terriers will have their work cut out for them if they want to keep their Red Hot Hockey dominance intact. The Big Red (7-3-1) are unbeaten in non-conference play to this point in the season and are currently riding a four-game winning streak that includes a 2-1 win over No. 9 Yale University.

For more, visit dailyfreepress.com.

1. I hope DQ can make a good decision and start out best goalie tonight.

2. I hope we can get a few fans to cheer the team on. I don’t want them to feel like they are playing in an empty and quiet Aggainis.

3. I may have missed it but has there been a report on Hohmann s injury?

• I heard broken collarbone. Out for 8 to 10 weeks. No big loss. There are plenty of guys on the team better than him.

4. Hohmann is such a soft player. Parker hated this kind of softness.

5. What’s up with Kurker and Collier? It seems like both are in DQ’s doghouse and on their way out of the program. I have no problem with DQ getting rid of the deadwood.