From the FreeP: Terriers facing tall order against BC

By Annie Maroon/DFP Staff

There are higher-stakes games than this in college hockey — though not many — but the No. 17 Boston University men’s hockey team must win Friday before it can worry about those.

At 8 p.m. at TD Garden, the Terriers (20-15-2, 15-10-2 Hockey East) will face No. 4 Boston College in their first win-or-go-home game this year, the semifinal of the Hockey East tournament. And going home, as everyone in scarlet and white is aware, means sending coach Jack Parker home from his last game behind the bench with a loss.

BU can’t make the national tournament without beating BC (22-10-4, 15-9-3 HE). Their best shot at the tournament would be winning the Hockey East tournament, although they have a slim chance of getting in if they lose in the title game.
The game will be unusual for Parker, and for all parties involved, without BC coach Jerry York behind the opposing bench. York had surgery for a detached retina on Monday, the second time he’s had the procedure this season, and is still recovering.

“I don’t think we ever missed a game, either one of us, a BC-BU game,” Parker said. “It’s too bad.”

Aside from York, though, a BC roster that had suffered some key injuries this year is almost back to full strength, as defenseman Patch Alber returned to the lineup for their quarterfinal series against Vermont.

BU’s defense will also get a boost with the return of junior defenseman Garrett Noonan, who missed BU’s last three games with a shoulder injury. Noonan, BU’s second-highest-scoring defenseman, will provide some much-needed relief to a defensive corps that’s been shorthanded without him.

For more, including comments from Noonan and freshman goalie Sean Maguire, go to dailyfreepress.com.