BREAKING: Matt O’Connor out indefinitely with collapsed lung

By Tim Healey/DFP Staff

The Boston University men’s hockey team finally has a number-one goaltender, but not by choice.

Freshman Matt O’Connor is out indefinitely with spontaneous pneumothorax and is expected to make a full recovery, according to a team source. Spontaneous pneumothorax is a collapsed lung that happens with no apparent cause.

O’Connor is in the hospital as of Monday evening. There is no information available on a recovery timeline.

“A small area in the lung that is filled with air can break open, sending air into the space around the lung,” according to the U.S. National Library of Medicine. Tall, thin people are more likely to suffer collapsed lungs.

The 6-foot-5, 201-pound O’Connor has posted a .910 save percentage and 2.86 goals-against average in 19 games (18 starts) in his rookie campaign.

The news comes two days after freshman Sean Maguire started two games in a weekend for the first time this season. After making 49 saves and one goal in a win against the University of Vermont Friday night, Maguire gave up four goals the next night, just hours after finding out he would make the start.

BU coach Jack Parker said after Saturday’s game O’Connor had trouble breathing during the pre-game skate Saturday afternoon, and the team made the decision to hold him back shortly thereafter.
Maguire, whose .914 save percentage and 2.95 GAA in 15 games are quite comparable to O’Connor’s numbers, is in line to be the team’s regular goalie.

Annie Maroon contributed to this report.

1. Get Well Soon!

2. Get well soon OC! <3 Becca

3. Huge news!

OC > Maguire.

A bad season just got worse.

4. Good call by O’Connor, Jack and the entire coaching staff to recognize that something was wrong and to keep O’Connor on the sideline Saturday night. There was a young athelete named Agganis ….

5. Get Well Soon Gandalf! You’ll be back on the ice and being the top-tendy in Hockey East in no time at all! Love ya! — The Crew on Sigle

6. This is a perfect situation for Parker. Now he has an excuse to bench OC and let Maguire play.

7. Mr. Gillies, you’re a gentleman and a sportsman. If its not BU, then the best to you and your crew. Good luck.