BU announces class of 2016

By Kevin Dillon/DFP Staff

The Boston University men’s hockey team finally revealed its Class of 2016, a class that features five forwards, two defensemen and two goaltenders.

Perhaps the most important members of the class are the two goaltenders, Sean Maguire and Matt O’Connor. The tandem of freshmen will replace reliable backstops Kieran Millan and Grant Rollheiser, both of whom finished their BU hockey careers last year.

Maguire posted a 2.39 goals-against average and a .910 save percentage in two seasons with the Powell River Kings of the British Columbia Hockey League. The Powell River, British Columbia native was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the fourth round (113th overall) of the 2012 NHL draft.

O’Connor finished last season with the Youngstown Phantoms of the United States Hockey League with a 28-15-5 record while posting a 3.04 goals-against average.

“We’re confident that [O’Connor] and Maguire can give us a one-two punch right off the bat,” said BU coach Jack Parker in a press release.

Moving from the back line forward, the Terriers have two freshmen defensemen to add to their defensive corps this season. Charlestown native Matt Grzelcyk will join the team alongside Espoo, Finland native Ahti Oksanen.

Grzelcyk totaled 23 points last season with the U.S. Under-18 Team and won a gold medal at the 2012 U18 World Championship in Czech Republic. The 5-foot-9 defenseman was selected in the third round (85th overall) of the 2012 NHL draft by the Boston Bruins.

Oksanen, who is replacing former BU defenseman Adam Clendening, led the Espoo Blues U20 team with 41 points in 51 games last season.

“We were very fortunate to get a player of Ahti’s caliber so late in the game,” Parker said. “He will fill the gap left behind by Adam Clendening’s early departure.”

The bulk of the freshman class comes from the forwards, though, as the team will welcome Sam Kurker, Matt Lane, Mike Moran, Wesley Myron and Danny O’Regan.
Kurker led St. John’s Preparatory School in scoring with 32 goals and 28 assists in 24 games last season. The Reading native was the highest selected incoming freshman in the 2012 NHL draft, as he was taken in the second round (56th overall) by the St. Louis Blues.

Myron and Moran were linemates during the 2011-12 season when they both spent time with the Victoria Grizzlies of the BCHL. Myron led the Grizzlies with 42 points (17 goals and 25 assists) in 26 games while Moran, who is the nephew of BU assistant coach Mike Bavis, tallied 46 points in 39 games between the Grizzlies and the Penticton Vees, also of the BCHL. Myron was drafted by the Vancouver Canucks in the sixth round (177th overall).

Along with Myron and Moran, BU will have another set of teammates joining the team this season. Lane played with Grzelcyk last season on the U.S. Under-18 Team, and he totaled 13 goals and 17 assists in 59 games.

Rounding out the incoming freshmen is O’Regan, who also played with Lane and Grzelcyk last year on the U.S. Under-18 Team. The Needham native recorded 32 goals and 28 assists as a senior at St. Sebastian’s School during his senior season.

O’Regan, who was drafted in the fifth round (138th overall) by the San Jose Sharks, is the son of former Terrier captain Tommy O’Regan, who played 61 games with the Pittsburgh Penguins over the course of three seasons in the mid-1980s.

“We’ve known about [O’Regan] for a while since he’s Tommy’s son,” Parker said. “He’s always been a very clever guy and a great player in his age group. He excelled in international competition for the Under-18 Team and there’s a good possibility he’ll be a first- or second-line center for us.”

Terrier fans will get their first looks at the freshman class on Oct. 7, when BU will face the University of Toronto in an exhibition game at Agganis Arena. The team’s first regular-season game will be six days later against Providence College, also at Agganis Arena.

1. Looks like a great freshman class. Time to get into college hockey and forget all of the bad stuff. By the by what ever came of “report” that was to come out the middle of this month?